Fern specializes in start-ups and emerging businesses related to pharma, packaged goods, fashion, beauty and bridal and prom categories. Fern has held management positions at major media companies including Primedia, Cowles Media and Ziff-Davis Media. Fern is a seasoned negotiator with in-depth knowledge of all aspects of media planning, buying and selling.
• Developed non-endemic categories for lifestyle nursing title Scrubs Magazine. Sales success led to expansion of role into digital sales, incorporating www.scrubsmag.com and creating multimedia packages. Also conceptualized and produced general and category-specific presentations
• Provided strategic direction, contacts and hands-on execution to break new categories of non-endemic business for Medizine, LLC, a print and online brand that is the largest U.S. provider of health education.
• Was a linchpin in the launch of Caring Today, a breakthrough family caregiver publication. Successfully positioned magazine within the ad community, establishing the sales direction.
Primedia: Modern Bride Group Fashion Advertising Director , Modern Bride Magazine
• Managed fashion team consisting of national, regional and telemarketing sales.
• Pioneered strategic sales platform including rate structure and category presentation development.
• Developed and directed integrated Group sales program, incorporating national and local print, online and live event mediums (Modern Bride, Modern Bride Connections and modernbride.com).
• Collaborated on all marketing and promotional initiatives including sales collateral, media kit, special sections and Group consumer and trade advertising.
• Oversaw Group’s Industry service venues: bi-annual Fashion Market Planner and prestigious Debi Awards Program.
WeddingChannel.com: Lead consultant
Launched and developed upscale couture bridal market in New York City. Oversaw four-day event, directing staff of seven and managing Waldorf Towers staff assigned to event. Created and directed all collateral materials including promotional mailings, sales kit, invitations and program.
Primedia: Advertising Director, Your Prom Magazine
• Direct National Sales Team, outside sales reps and the fashion team; responsible for all revenue for annual publication.
• Launched yourprom.com; directed concept and design.
• Spearheaded joint advertising program with Primedia-owned Seventeen Magazine (sold to Hearst in 2003)
• Developed integrated packages using online properties and live events.
• Expanded visibility within prom community with successful launch of trade publication.